Jerry was born and raised on a small farm in the farming community of French Camp, California. During his senior year in Stockton High School, World War II broke out on December, 7, 1941. In March, 1942, Jerry was interned with his parents and siblings in a camp on the Gila Indian Reservation in Arizona. He is a World War II veteran. Jerry and his wife, Teresa together have 4 sons and 1 daughter: Taro Jay Kaneko, John Kaneko, DVM, MS, Jim Kaneko, DVM, MPVM, Richard Bynum, MFA and Louisa Bynum, DVM. Jerry and Teresa have lived in Davis since 1951. All their children received their elementary and secondary school education in Davis and in addition, Jim and Louisa received their DVM degrees from UC Davis.
- Education: AB (Chemistry), DVM, PhD (UC Davis), DVSc (hc) (State University of Ghent, Belgium)
- Faculty member in the School of Veterinary Medicine and chaired his department for 17 years. He retired in 1994 after 38 years and served as Professor Emeritus for another 18 years. Jerry practiced veterinary medicine intermittently for 10 years. He remained active in academia in continuing education, writing, speaking, consulting and in his professional societies. Jerry regularly organized and hosted scientific conferences and programs through UC Davis.
- Jerry continued to maintain his interest in government and in the well-being of all our citizens. Concern for our less fortunate, quality education, transportation, universal access to health care, senior citizens, quality public safety and protection of our environment were among his major passions. He is a former city Councilman of the City of Davis and served as an elected member of the Yolo County Democratic Central Committee.
- Jerry operated an 80 acre field crop farm in Southern Yolo County. This farm is also in part, developed into a sustainable wildlife-friendly habitat, his personal commitment to the environment.
- Jerry was involved in several other business ventures as a private consultant, operator of a rental property business (Housing Options) and as a partner in a web site hosting and developing firm (Virtual Market Enterprises, Inc).
- Jerry took time to pursue his hobbies; restoration of antique vehicles, fishing, Alpine and Nordic skiing, hiking, fitness, and golf.